Charlie Macrae – Final Report

Over the past few weeks I have gained a lot of knowledge about the process of creating a soundscape/experimental sound. I have learnt techniques about how I should record certain sounds and I have also learnt how to use Adobe Audition and Pro-Tools a lot more efficiently than I have been able to previously.

What I Learnt During The Recording Process:
– When recording the audio for our soundscape I booked out the zoom and two microphones. The zoom was an extremely versatile piece of equipment and was what we used for the majority of the recordings. Before this project I had very little experience with the zoom but as we recorded with it, I got to grips with it very quickly.
– The microphones that we used were very useful at getting different sounds the 414 that we used was good at getting a clear sound and was useful for getting sounds that would pan from left to right.
– The hyper-cardioid microphone we used was great at getting close up sounds, such as heartbeats and vibrations.
With more experience with different microphones I believe we would of been able to get an even higher quality of sounds for the final piece.

What I Learnt About Adobe Audition:
– I had quite a lot of experience with adobe audition prior to this project so editing on the software was relatively easy after a while. I had a good idea about how i was going to cut up the audio files and as a team we knew what order we were going to put them in.
– The program is very good when using it to cut down audio clips in to usable chunks as well as being able to create multiple tracks to place the clips in order. I believe if we had to assemble the piece in pro-tools it would of been a lot more difficult as pro tools does not have a separate window for editing the clips.
– I believe that I can quite efficiently use Adobe Audition now and if I were to have more practice with the software I think I would be able to use more of its features within my work to improve the final product.
What I Learnt About Pro-tools:

– I had very little experience with pro tools prior to this project so getting hands on with the software really gave me an opportunity to extend my knowledge of how to use its features.

– Adding effects and EQ’ing the audio was relatively easy although it took us some time to get the effects that we wanted due to not knowing all of the available plug-ins that we could use, after a while we got to terms with the plug-ins after a lot of trial and error.

Working As A Team:
– Being part of a team on a project like this was very useful as it allowed us to separate jobs and all take turns with the recording and mixing. Without a team it would of made the whole process a lot less enjoyable as well as taking a lot longer.
– We all shared common goals for this project which was useful as it meant the final product was something that we were all happy with and there was no arguing.